The hospital at Klungset
German hospital 1943-1945 /
Swedish Red Cross hospital June 6-5. July 1945
The hospital at Klungset was established by the German occupation forces in 1943 to provide necessary medical treatment to their many thousands of soldiers and workers in the area. The facility eventually comprised 13 buildings, including basement facilities, and had 180 beds.
At the peace in May 1945, the hospital was opened for seriously ill and malnourished prisoners from the prisoner-of-war camps in the area. On June 7, the Swedish Red Cross arrived with personnel and equipment at Klungset and took over the medical treatment of the patients. Within a month, almost 400 former prisoners of war received help at the hospital. In addition, the Red Cross distributed 34 tons of food to prison camps in the area. The efforts of the Swedish doctors and nurses saved many lives.
Today, only four of the original buildings remain. As one of the few surviving German military hospitals after World War II, the facility is now listed. In the post-war period, the facility was used by the Norwegian Armed Forces; first as an equipment and weapons arsenal, and from 1990 by the Home Guard. In 2012, the camp was sold to Klungset Leir AS.